Thursday, June 2, 2011

I put a new front wheel bearing on my car, now i'm getting 1/2 the MPG i was. Could i have tightened it too mu?

Nothing else changed on the car. as soon as i was done with the bearing, the car went from getting almost 300 miles a tank to 200. So from 30mpg to 20mpg. I'm thinking it's gotta be the problem. But i don't know how this could be. You can't tighten a bearing too much being that it's pressed in, it's a fixed piece. I'm wondering if it's a bum bearing. am i wrong?I put a new front wheel bearing on my car, now i'm getting 1/2 the MPG i was. Could i have tightened it too mu?Anything is possible but not this...........

If it were too tight it would heat your wheel / hub / caliper changing color and burn-out the bearing causing ..smoke.......dripping greese....not cause a decrease in MPGI put a new front wheel bearing on my car, now i'm getting 1/2 the MPG i was. Could i have tightened it too mu?what kind of car. if it,s the kind of bearing that you adjust then it,s possible that you could have gotten it too tight. if it is then you will burn the bearing up. if the bearing is pressed into the hub then it,s factory pressed.I put a new front wheel bearing on my car, now i'm getting 1/2 the MPG i was. Could i have tightened it too mu?No a wheel bearing will not cause a decrease in mileage. You have another problem somewhere under the hood. How long since you have had a tune-up.I put a new front wheel bearing on my car, now i'm getting 1/2 the MPG i was. Could i have tightened it too mu?didnt say what type of wheel bearing but most newer cars cant over tight

older type possible but you would feel it or see smoke



unlikely the problem sorryI put a new front wheel bearing on my car, now i'm getting 1/2 the MPG i was. Could i have tightened it too mu?Brakes binding?I put a new front wheel bearing on my car, now i'm getting 1/2 the MPG i was. Could i have tightened it too mu?Check your tire pressure?



A bearing would not cause a decrease in your mpg.