Thursday, June 2, 2011

Can you please give me advice on how to change out wheel bearings on a Mitsubishi Eclipse?

I am working on a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse and the drivers side front wheel bearing is bad. I have taken off everything brakes, control arm lower ball joint, axle, etc. but I can't get the wheel bearing out. There are four bolts that's holding the assymbly in that I took out already. What is the proper method for getting out the wheel bearing? I don't want to screw up because this is my only vehicle. I have heard of people pressing the bearing out with a arbor press. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.Can you please give me advice on how to change out wheel bearings on a Mitsubishi Eclipse?the best advise I can give you from experience...Is to buy your bearings and take the old and new parts to a machine shop....They will have all the tools necessary to do the job the right way...They shouldnt really only charge you about 25 dollars, but you will save more in the long run....Can you please give me advice on how to change out wheel bearings on a Mitsubishi Eclipse?you need a bearing puller, it has hooks that go on the back of the bearing and a threaded center piece that you hook a wrench/ beaker bar onto and it pushes on the axle end to pull the bearing out. they sell these at sears but they are not really cheap. you also need a press to put the new bearing back on. the press is really expensive or if you can fabricate a bottle jack w/ bearing sleeve you can press it back on.